Friday, April 3, 2009

Haiti - Saturday Conclusion


I am so tired tonight that I think I'll be able to sleep ok, despite the dogs outside and the rain falling.  There are three women here in my room.  Liz, Alyssa, and me.  Alyssa and I are sharing the double bed and Liz is sleeping on a mattress on the floor.  I think we have the best room in the house.  We have our own balcony (which is great for hanging up wet clothes, except that they never seem to completely dry...mainly because it keeps raining) AND we have our own bathroom. The bathroom looks like a pretty typical bathroom.  There are a few differences in how you use it here, though.  There is TP in the bathroom, but it can't go in the stool.  No flushing TP.  Use it, and then throw it in the trash.  Oh, and use it sparingly because the roll you brought from home has to last all week.  It's a surprisingly hard habit to break.  

I also learned how to take a "Navy style" shower.  They do a lot of things here to conserve water, and this type of shower is one of them.  You turn on the shower and get yourself wet--oh, and btw, the water is cold.  Turn off the water and then soap up, wash hair and shave.  Then, turn the water on again and rinse off.  The water from the tap is not filtered, either, so you have to be careful not to get it in your mouth.  

Finally, you must remember to use your bottle of water to brush your teeth and rinse your toothbrush.  

As I sit here in bed with my ipod on, I'm getting pretty sleepy.  Back at home, my two girls have been fast asleep for hours... I hope.  I wonder what Mark is doing.  I realized today that this trip will be the longest time that I will have not spoken to Mark in 10+ years.  While there have been other times that we've been apart, we've always had email or cell phones to talk on.  This time is different.  My cell says there's no service.  I've turned it off and put it downstairs in Manno's office, which is locked.  No computer here, either.  Completely out of touch for the next 6 days.  It's going to go by fast...right?  G'night!

No comments: